Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Book Review: Naive - Modernism And Folklore In Contemporary Graphic Design

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am a HUGE book lover! The particular category of books that I love are those that have a focus on pattern, art, crafting, fashion illustration and design - ones that are done really well and include a plethora of inspiration. I am definitely a researcher and collector of information! Jake and I are often at Barnes & Noble and there I am perusing books and gathering my list of must haves and duds. My personal Amazon wish list is about 8 pages long - ok I think you get the point! So I thought I'd start sharing with you my book findings and give you information so you can decide if the book is right for you. Please do let me know what information would be helpful to you, and leave comments if you have any particular questions about the book. Enjoy!

The first book up is:
Naive - Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design.
I first came across this wonderful book on one of my trips to Anthropologie, flipped through it and immediately knew it was a true gem! It's 176 pages are loaded with beautiful and contemporary illustrations ranging from textiles and stationary to poster art and book covers. The editors did an impeccable job at selecting the artwork to go into this book because every page is inspiring, vibrant and shows a variety of modern artistic techniques. The artists chosen to be represented in this book are of high caliber, and their work speaks for itself. Some of the artists represented are: Helen Dardik, Matte Stephens, Jenn Ski, Hanna Werning, Public Domain & James Gulliver Hancock. The only text in this book are captions at the bottom of each page giving credit to the artist who's work is being shown. I
highly recommend this book, as it's one of the most well done inspiration pieces I've seen in a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I am ready to stop everything I'm doing and immediately go out and get this book. It looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there - I'd love to hear from you! What say you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails